Thursday Nov 17 2016 – Thursday Dec 8 2016
Cost: $135 (includes HST + model fee)
Max 7 participants
The classes take place at the studio (in my home) located near Parkdale/Carling. The exact address will be provided upon registration.
You can pay with all major credit cards using the Pay Now button below, or you can contact me at email@example.com to pay by e-transfer or cheque.
This class is intended for intermediate students: you know you’re way past the stick figure phase, your drawings are reasonably in proportion, but they still feel stiff and blocky and not quite “human”. This class will give you ideas for fixing that.
I like to demo for about 40-45 mins most sessions and then give you guys time to practice the concepts.
Class sizes are small so that everyone will have one-on-time with me by the end of the course.
What we’ll cover:
- Movement: using physical empathy to find correct proportion
- Principle of organic form
- Likeness, character and individual proportion
Week 1: Movement demo + practice
Week 2: Principles of organic form demo + practice (beginning of 3 session drawing)
Week 3: Likeness & character + practice
Week 4: Practice + feedback/critique session
- An unlined notebook! I don’t do handouts because you won’t learn as much if I just tell you what to do. I want you to make notes of what I’m saying, copy the demos, draw along with me while I talk. You’ll learn so much more this way. (See the science behind it here.)
- A large pad of white paper, anywhere from 16” x 20” to 18” x 24”.
- A standard 2B pencil. Yup, that’s it. Maybe bring 3-4 of them so you don’t have to be constantly sharpening.
- A kneaded eraser
- A white eraser
- A pencil sharpener
What we don’t cover:
I don’t get into materials, how to use materials, how to sharpen your pencils the best way, etc. The magic is not in the materials, and other artists will do a better job teaching that. This is about getting knowledge of artistic concepts in your hands so you can get to making the work you want to be making.
Who these classes are for
These classes are for the serious beginner, or intermediate, artist. They are focused and intense and I will be sharing as much of my knowledge as I can in the 8 hours we have together. If you love Paint Night at your local bar, these classes are probably not your thing.